Searching...
Friday, November 19, 2010

Garmin nüvi 1490/1490T 5-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Traffic


I purchased this item after much comparison using the others available. This item was refurbished by Garmin, but nonetheless were built with a 12 months factory warranty, why pay full retail? I simply found this same GPS in a local major store for $449.99, so my $243 cost would be a bargain, particularly with free freight!Garmin nüvi 1490/1490T 5-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Traffic (Factory Refurbished)

Features - I needed multi-point mapping abilities & ability upload routes from my PC, cause I volunteer for that MS150 and Tour de Cure bicycle events which have multiple break points (rest stops) along with a route that zig-zags throughout creation.

Features - I liked the thought of a bigger screen (5 inch), the lifetime traffic service, the built-in bluetooth speakerphone, and Garmin's reputation.

Map Upgrades - I discovered which i could purchase a lifetime subscription to map updates for any little over $100, while using 10% discount code Garmin provided for registering my unit together. (Note: register with Garmin first, then purchase the map upgrade using their site, save 10%.)

Other Items Bought - I additionally bought the Garmin friction dash mount to make use of rather than the (included) suction cup window mount.Garmin Portable Friction Mount [Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging]

Who Needs the Stinking Manuals - As being a guy, I didn't make use of reading any manuals until later. First got it straight as they are, turned it on and tried on the extender for any trip immediately, comparing it alongside with my old GPS. I connected a destination about 160+ miles away involving interstate highways in Texas, and several side roads, multiple towns, etc. I went straight in the PO Box, towards the carwash before leaving town and striking the highway north to Ft. Hood from San Antonio, TX.

The Garmin 1490T got me there faster (than the way my old GPS tried to route me) by about 20 minutes, cause it took me down a state highway with 60-70mph speeds, instead of sticking only to US highways.

Audio Directions - Audio quality quite nice in my opinion. Computer female voice, default 80% volume setting, easy to hear over road noise even in a rainstorm while driving.

Bluetooth Speaker Phone- I figured out how to connect my cell phone to the Garmin 1490T fairly easy, with pin code 1234. I've been making and sending calls thru it, mostly as a speaker phone, but found that the 1490T actually pulled down my phone directory and I could dial from there instead. But it didn't get 100% of the directory. For some reason, it didn't get all 500 phone #'s, like it skipped my wife's cell number. (not good). Audio has been reported as good from the callers on the other end, saying some road noise detected, one saying I sounded like I was on a speaker phone, but quite legible even while highways noise was in background. Don't try using the speaker phone while driving in a rainstorm, too much background road noise from the rain hitting the windshield, etc.

Traffic Alerts - I wasn't sure how that worked, but trusted it would, since San Antonio, TX, (where I live) was on the list of covered cities. But as I drove north on IH-35 toward Austin, TX, all of a sudden a voice came out of nowhere saying "Severe Traffic Congestion Ahead, Recalculating Route". This was about 35 miles before the congestion! It took me up into the congested area, then routed me around the majority of it. Wish I had trusted it earlier and I would have popped over to the nearby tollroad miles earlier instead. To me it was magic, I'm not sure how this works (FM transmitter / received built into power cord) in terms of where they get their live traffic info from, but it worked.

Lane Changing Alerts - The visual guide to changing lanes was more of a "hey, there are two right turn lanes ahead, left two lanes go straight", etc. Audio was very accurate in saying "stay left for exit to..." or "stay right to exit then turn left/right, etc." Very timely alerts and I never missed a turn while using it on this trip.

Screen Display - Easy to read! It alerts me to local speed limits when driving on highways, was only off by 5mph one short stretch of Texas Hwy 195 (speed was actually 60 instead of 65). Noticed some glare when the sun hit the screen from behind or from the side, will apply anti-glare screen like I used on my digital camera to see if that helps in future.

Cons: When text messaging received, it says "unknown caller" and stays on the screen, despite touching "ignore" or "answer". Have noticed a few times that pop-up screen (while using bluetooth function) is annoying only because it didn't go away right away, but the GPS kept giving me audio directions even though I couldn't see the map. I'm going to keep playing with that "issue" and contact Garmin tech support about it if I can't resolve it myself.

Recommendation - Yes, I strongly recommend this model to anyone wanting a easy to read, easy to use, accurate GPS for their vehicle. Supposedly it has pedestrian direction functions built in, with additional maps available for purchase (really cheap per metro area), but I will only be using it in my mini-van.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Back to top!